Friday, July 8, 2011

It's a Mystery: Sunglasses


I'm not running today...rest day! I'm always a little concerned about rest days because I feel like I'm going to loose my mojo that I built up with all the previous consecutive days of running. I signed up for a 10-Mile race in September, so that is my goal at the moment. I have an ultimate goal of running a marathon before I turn 30...which is about two and half years from now (gulp). I think that gives me adequate time to accomplish such a mission.

This week has been pretty warm, and I do NOT like running in hot weather. I haven't really had a choice, though. The late afternoon has been the only time I've had available to run. The advantage, though, of running in warmer weather is that very few people are out on the trail, so I get it mostly to myself. I find that meeting/passing other people on the trail is a very awkward experience for the most part. A small handful of people will smile and wave as you pass by one another. Most people, though, will look at you in an unaffected manner upon approach but completely avoid eye contact right as you pass by them. I realize that when you're exercising that you might be in "the zone" and social niceties sort of go out the window to a certain extent, but I am just not down with the cold shoulder approach. I mean, I know they see me...I'm just saying. For a long time, I tried to give a small smile and wave to anyone I met on the trail. We were fellow runners - venturing forth upon this lovely little trail along the lake to partake in an activity so enduring and primal. I felt like we were all united by our running somehow, but day after day, month after month, I got the I-see-you-but-I-refuse-to-acknowledge-you treatment. So, this summer, I have put on the shield of invisibility in order to avoid these awkward moments: sunglasses. Sunglasses are truly amazing. By merely placing them on the bridge of your nose, you are draped in a mysterious persona should you meet anyone who didn't already know you. Without them I felt totally exposed while running - everyone knew if I was going to attempt a greeting because I was making eye contact, and the shutdown from the oncoming runner was all the more harsh. With sunglasses, I flit along the trail as though I was not even there. I do not feel obliged to acknowledge anyone and no one feels like they have to acknowledge me. They don't know if I'm looking at them, or if I'm so deep in "the zone" that I can't possibly notice other human life swirling around me. I admit, I feel rather like I've given up on this bond that I still believe that all runners have, but maybe it's just not the right time. Perhaps when the economy is better...or not. But for now, I have my shield of invisibility, and I will traverse the trail as a only a faceless runner.



No comments:

Post a Comment