Thursday, May 10, 2012

13.1 Miles in 113 Days...GULP!

Truth talk: I haven't run in SO LONG! Months...I'm so ashamed. Don't look at me - just turn away.

I have excuses...sort of. I've been in shows pretty much constantly since last July, and, while any show takes up a good amount of the free time I have outside of work, some of these shows were also rather physically demanding. So, I didn't run.

(Maybe if I'd been running all along, those shows wouldn't have been quite so physically demanding...)

And I was working and taking college classes and working on a few design projects and I had to walk my dog and occasionally clean my house and blah blah blah...and I didn't run.

*Sigh*

But, months ago I did myself the kindest favor of registering for a half marathon on Labor Day weekend. So, about 4 months from now, I have to run 13.1 miles...and, presumably, be alive at the end of it. And, I'm thinking, ya know, it's probably about time I start getting ready.

Also, I announced this endeavor to all of Facebook, which probably no one remembers, but I remember. So, if I don't get on track now, I will be too late to do so at all, and I will have thoroughly shamed myself via social media...and in real life, too.

This week, then, I have found myself having a bit of a oh-crap realization that I need to get off my butt and start running. So, I really got in gear: I read some articles on the Runner's World website; I perused the women's athletic clothing at Target; I laid out an entire training schedule; I considered a pair of Merrill shoes at Scheels...I went to a couple auditions; I painted my fingernails; and I became the master of Pinterest...and of the world. No, not really. But, I could...if I really wanted to.

And I logged zero miles.

It's always the first run after a long break that hurts the worst. It's the most humiliating and eye-opening. I'm so out of shape. And everyone knows it. But, it has it's good points as well. I like running, which I become keenly aware of when I'm doing it. ...throat clearing...right, obviously. I don't know what it is in me that tells me that I don't want to run when, really, I do. I DO want to run. There are so many good reasons to run, and I like that those reasons exist. But, when it comes right down to it, I just like it.

So, I'm going for a run tomorrow morning. It won't be pretty, and it won't be fast - but who cares about that anyway? : )

No comments:

Post a Comment