Friday, February 20, 2015

I Don't Care

I love not caring about what's happening on Facebook. I used to care SO MUCH! On Facebook, every stupid thing is an issue to be discussed and debated. We have to examine the social ramifications of every minute event that takes place around the world and share our opinions about it with everyone. When did we all starting using up so much of our energy caring about EVERYTHING! We care about everything!
Don't get me wrong - caring about stuff is good and right, but I believe that it is impossible to care about every little thing without your compassion loosing some of its integrity. Do you care about world hunger? Good - what can you do about it? Do you care about social injustice? Fine - find out how you can combat it. Do you think last Saturday's SNL was not that funny and maybe offensive, but you'd like to get the opinions of all your friends and debate the topic with the entirety of the web to confirm your suspicions? Good freakin' grief...there has got to be something more constructive you can be doing. Should the entire world care that Kim Kardashian took another scandalous picture? No. Do we all need to feel the need to tell everyone the results of the "What Kind of Potato" quiz? Holy cow...NO!
The thing is any one of these expressions on their own is not a big deal, but it's become a mass sharing of trivial opinions that has turned into a loud game of "No, listen to what I think! My opinion matters! You should all care about what I think!"

I can't. I can't care about what everyone thinks about everything thing - little or big - that is happening in the world. I've tried, and it's exhausting. It drains the joy right out of me. And what is ironic is so much what what people share regarding current events is generally grounded in compassion - misplaced or not - and yet, after a day spent processing all of those debates and opinions and comments, my heart is heavy with a feeling that this world is a dark and cruel place in which to exist. By constantly sharing all our thoughts about our lives and the world around us, we are essentially killing the world with kindness. In my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment