Thursday, August 7, 2014

Highly Disorganized and Clutterly Content


One week without television: I suppose it was inevitable that I would start organizing.

I like to think of my house as delightfully disorganized, "lived-in", comfortably cluttered, etc. Even after I've done what I consider to be a thorough cleaning, I am certain that there are people who would say that more could be done in order for it to be truly clean and tidy. Clutter, in moderation, does not bother me at all. A pile of paper on the table, shoes laying haphazardly by the door, an unfolded blanket on the couch, books laying here and there…not a problem. I rarely clean anything right away - wash each dish as it is used, iron clothes as soon as they come out of the wash, organize the mail as soon as I bring it in from the mailbox - nah. I don't think this makes me a messy person…and if it does, I don't care.

But, I will admit that this relaxed method of housekeeping does eventually catch up with me. For example, what was once a neatly stacked pile of paper becomes a colony of piles of paper, mail, books, scripts, and pictures. There are some specific locations around the house that are particularly susceptible to excessive clutter and mayhem, and today, I decided to tackle one of them: my craft cabinet.

Oh, my craft cabinet…it is a mysterious trove of unused potential. It contains all the knick knacks, tools, supplies, and pretties that I have collected for either a specific project or simply because it was a shiny, new crafty thing. It is stuffed with all sorts of items that could become so many wonderful things if I were to follow through with my sporadic notions of ingenuity. Alas, more often than not the project is abandoned prematurely for one reason or another, and the items purchased with such a hopeful purpose are stuffed into the cabinet with all the other forgotten supplies.

So today I organized it. And it is EXQUISITE. I mean…sigh…it just really is. And I found so many things! I found a baby present purchased for my nephew Judah…who is now 4 years old. I found a birthday card I bought for my dad…two birthdays ago - sorry, Dad - and so many craft supplies that I had forgotten were there at all.

I also found a bunch of stuff to make friendship bracelets and have every intention to whip a few together! I promise - promise - that I won't toss them back in the cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment