Saturday, August 2, 2014

Netflix: The Seductive Temptress

This is me not watching Netflix. Or any 'flix at all.

I don't want to toot my own horn here, but I'm kinda the queen of Netflix binge-watching. I mean, I was binge-watching Netflix before it was cool, which makes me a Netflix hipster, right?. While the general look of a mainstream hipster (Ha!) is tight jeans, old flannel shirts, and thick-rimmed glasses, the tell-tale look of a Netflix hipster is sweatpants, a zip-up hoodie, and no makeup.

I rock this look. (insert proud smirk)

There are few things that sound more relaxing and enjoyable than a whole load of episodes of some well-reviewed series just waiting to be watched on Netflix. I mean, picture it - my comfiest stretchy clothes, the best spot on the couch, a blanket within reach just in case, a beverage on the side table, a yummy snack to be eaten mindlessly and in excess…and a whole world of characters and plot twists. And with a quick click of the remote control, I'm off...

Yesterday, mere hours after making this crazy decision to not watch television for a month, I got an email from Netflix: "Christina, the final season of The Killing is now on Netflix!"

What?! NO! Not fair.

I just finished watching the first three season last week. Last week! The end of the third season left the detectives hanging in the middle of the case they'd been working on over the course of the whole season. What kind of torture is this??

Well, no kind. It's no kind of torture. I'll survive. I'll wait. Begrudgingly, at first anyway.

So…*sigh*…I came home from work yesterday, and I did not turn on the tv. I cleaned a little without the tv on in the background. I hung a picture on the wall without HGTV playing for unnecessary inspiration. I read my book…in silence. I went to an outdoor theatre production, came home again and did not fire up Netflix. I went to bed.

Christy-1; TV-0

No comments:

Post a Comment